hystericalcheezit

hystericalcheezit

My imported reviews have lost all formatting, I'll work on fixing them.

I am too lazy to shelf all my books  -- because I shelf a LOT, and having to individually select them all on two sites? HA HA NO -- so go for my Goodreads for that (among other) shit.

Cohesion
Supernatural Freak
Louisa Klein
SPOILER ALERT!
The Death Cure - James Dashner

3.25 stars (because that should totes be a thing), for the surprising amount of emotional duress (not caused by my distaste/dislike/absolute hatred for the writing/plot/etc, that is) I experienced during the course of this book, specifically regarding Newt and my accidental care for him and his "comrades". Ahahahaha shit, it hurts.

I wanted to write a nice coherent review for this highlighting the things I detested and the things I could bear and the things I liked and the things with which I somehow fell in love.

But even after a night's (well, a morning's, really) rest, I am emotionally and psychologically drained and I just don't give two shits.

But!

I will try to at least depict a little of my love-hate relationship for this book. See, it's not that I love to hate it or hate to love it, or that I love it so much I hate it (gag, definitely not), or even that I hate it so much I hate it.

The love and hate have nothing to do with each other, except for those rare moments when they linger together and make me ultimately disgusted and nauseous but strangely enthralled.

I hated the writing, first off, but that marginally improved as the books wore on, so in this one it was actually quite bearable, if not sometimes pleasant (specifically chapter 57). The last 69 pages were wonderful, and perhaps the first ten before that because everything done with Newt was actually done pretty fucking well. I have a lot of emotions. Somehow I fell deep, deep, deeply in love with some of these characters, Newt included.

His death invoked such emotion in me. It didn't help that it was past 2am and I was tired and I'd started on page 190 and ended up finishing it. But Alby's death in book one was done so...anticlimactically, and it was painful 'cause I loved him but since it was written so poorly it didn't have as much impact. Newt's however...everything about this was so astoundingly ...I don't know. AGONIZING, BUT IN THE GOOD WAY. But also the bad way, of course, seeing as how he's fucking DEAD. AND MINHO/NEWT'S RELATIONSHIP DON'T EVEN FUCKING GET ME STARTED.

(show spoiler)

I also loved the way Teresa and Thomas' relationship kind of...rescued/healed/whatever itself. He kind of began to understand what I already did, and that helped ensure it wasn't quite so annoying for me, because his hatred for her in the 2nd book was just..../rolls eyes/.

Her death seemed a little...cliche? It wasn't written all that badly, I 'spose. Could've been better but everything about this book could've been better, let's be real here.

(show spoiler)

I loved all the action-y shit. I love how the series went in directions I didn't expect. I love how they went back to the Maze. Okay, to be honest, "love" for all these is a stretch. The only things I loved about this series were Newt, Minho, and Gally. But especially Newt. Aahahahaha FUCK.

The ending, however, was a large downer. I mean, I get it, it's kind of a "pleasant" ending. Most people dive into the shit that happens after (fo R A REASON!!1 MIND YOU) but apparently Dashner didn't want to do that because that's what nice people do. I mean, I'm not even upset that we don't get answers about what happens to the rest of the word. Well, okay, that's not even remotely true, but it isn't what I'm REALLY upset about it. What I am UPSET about is...will Minho eventually learn the truth about what Thomas' did

to Newt, and by the way Thomas' emotions after that were dfjkkhkghfkghdfkgh splendid for me to read, I enjoyed it, yes indeedy

(show spoiler)

? How will this colony work its shit out? Will Thomas end up in a position of leadership anyway despite is like not to? What if they get found? What if a cure ever IS found?

WHAT IF NEWT SOMEHOW MIRACULASLY DIDN'T DIE AND THERE'S A FUCKING CURE AND MINHO (and Thomas I guess) CAN HAVE HIS FUCKING FRIEND BACK IS WHAT I GUESS I'M REALLY ASKING HER EI MEAN COME ON

(show spoiler)

Uh. I guess that wraps it up? But I really want another book, to answer these questions and other questions AND JUST GIVE ME SOME FUCKING CLOSURE FOR FUCK SAKES. I swear to God, I have an issue about this series and this author especially. It's like I got fucking Stockholm Syndrome about it, that's the best way I can explain my emotions towards it.

Also: fury and an immense deep agonizing sadness anguish and pain pain pain bECAUSE NEWT FUCk

(show spoiler)

I probably have more to shit on, more to say, other things about which to complain and begrudgingly enjoy....if enjoy is even the word for it, but this is the gist of what I wanted to say.

Fuck this shit, man. Just fucking fuck it. How did this even happen to me.

GOOD
FUCKING
RIDDANCE